Monday, May 28, 2007

Profile in Diligence


On Saturday night, Mariah went to a friend's party, but something she ate was like a knife to her stomach, and she spent the night throwing up. The next morning the nausea continued. Problem was, she was scheduled to give the youth talk in Church on scripture study. She had been asked with only about three days to spare, so she hadn't even had time to write her talk until Sunday morning. When I went in, to wake her, she still felt terrible, and I asked if I shouldn't call the bishopric and excuse her from that day's duty. She said, no, she could do it, and wrote her talk on the computer while lying in bed, still squalmy, bad internal weather. We went to Church, she gave a really terrific talk, and sat back down. She still looked wan and pale, even a little slumpy. I mouthed the words to her, "Do you want to go home?" and held up the car keys. She shook her head yes, and when the talk ended she came down from the stand and left, where she came home and back to bed.


What impresses me here is that she could have easily and legitimately begged off speaking. I've seen many people do that with only a little time left before the sacrament meeting since Dad has been in the bishopric. But, she felt it was more important to do her duty. It reminded me of her on another occasion. She decided when she was 12 years old to read her scriptures every day the rest of her life--never miss. Now, she is 17 and has held true to that decision--which was made by herself without any coaching from us. One Friday night she went over to a friend's house for a party, and they decided to turn it into a sleep over. She pulled herself away from the party and called me so that I could read a chapter of the Book of Mormon to her.


I know she will be embarrassed that I write these things about her where all can read, but true committment and diligence is always stunning to me--and she has demonstrated this on several, important occasions. Hurrah for Mariah!

1 comment:

pinkmorning said...

i second that...

Hooray for Mariah!!!

wish i could have heard her talk today...