
Tonight we started a new tradition. Dad and Michaela put icicle lights up on the second level of the house and do to that had to balance themselves on the roof. But they were so flushed with excitement when they came in that Michaela suggested that we all go out on the roof and sit along the edge under the lights and have hot chocolate. We sang "The First Noel" and laughed and Dad tried to capture the moment with a photo. Thus a tradition is born with our first annual roof and hot chocolate sing along.
Today, however, has been really special for other reasons. A few of the sisters in our Relief Society made baked ziti and took it down to the Lamb Center, a place where the homeless and destitute come for their meals. Before we started, I went out among the people and we talked and laughed. One man, however, said, "I have no shoes. Can you get some shoes for me?" The only pair of shoes that he owned had worn out so that water seeped in, and he finally had to throw them away. All he had were some slip on sandals which were way too skimpy for a cold day. I asked the people at the center if they had access to shoes, and they directed me to tell him that there were probably shoes that might fit him over in a closet in the Presbyterian Church (which was miles away.) How does a shoeless man make it that distance without a car? But I was struck by what a joyous opportunity this was. Being among the homeless made me feel right at home as we have worked with them many times before, but how often do you get such an opportunity for personal ministration as this? Getting someone shoes who has none. Could I really have that wonderful privilege of helping in something as necessary and personal as this? So I drove to the nearest shoe store, bought him new shoes, and brought them back to him, all boxed and bagged. He was so pleased as he tried them on and they fit so well. He hugged me and kissed me, saying, "God bless you." I already felt so blessed I wish every day gave me opportunities to clothe the naked and feed the hungry. It satisfies as almost nothing else. Then I remembered that on the way to the shelter I had prayed that I would be able to be a blessing to someone, that I could fill a need. Here was another answered prayer, and though it was such a tiny thing I did, it made me feel truly happy.
3 comments:
That was so sweet of you to go and buy him shoes! Sounds like fun on the roof too!!
wow.. two different, very memorable experiences. Yesterday I was actually thinking about how we used to go to the detox center at Christmas and how that helped me feel Christamsy...
this post made me cry. what a blessing for both of you.
Post a Comment