Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Fireworks!


We have a new Memorial Day tradition, now four years old. Each year we go with many friends from the ward to the Summer Blastoff concert and fireworks at Wolf Trap park. I don't think anything is as meaningful as visiting family graves on Memorial Day, but we have had to find other things to do. Thus, year after year, we have headed to Wolf Trap to hear the President's Own Marine Band and watch a first class fireworks show. This year the band played wonderful favorites like the theme from "Superman" and part of the score of "West Side Story." A gifted, energetic pianist soloed on "Rhapsody in Blue" and I was just overcome by the excellence and perfection of it all. What genius there is in composing such complex and interesting music and how fun to see it performed so well. I truly love excellence and am always awed by great performances.


The fireworks were up close and personal, blasting only a few hundred feet from where we sat to lively music. I have always loved fireworks since I was a little girl and used to go to Liberty Park, stretch out a blanket and lay on my back and look straight up at them as they exploded over my head. If someone says, "Let's go see fireworks," I'm there.

3 comments:

GustoBones said...

I don't think you can ever outgrow fireworks. Here in Washington people love their fireworks and I am surprised at what is legal. We always get quite a show right in our own little cul de sac. It goes on for a couple of hours. The wives in the neigborhood always joke about how their husbands spend soo much money on fireworks. Last year when we went to buy a few(like $20 worth, the guy at the fireworks tent said, "Are you sure this is all you want?" We said, yes, but that night I felt a little guilty for having the convenience of having our block party with the hundreds and hundreds of dollars spent on fireworks right in front of our house!
Sounds like Wolf Trap was a lot of fun!!

Rachel said...

I love fireworks.. they are sort of the epidomy of summertime.

pinkmorning said...

sparklers are my favorite, maybe because i love dancing with them and making sparkling circles...